Skinny Gourmet's recipe has been one of my standbys for a few years now. My dear friend, Alyx, introduced it to me during one of our culinary adventures I so fondly remember. It was a cold June Gloom Night in Los Angeles, and our taste buds were on the hunt for a healthful and wholesome meal. This recipe left us completely satisfied - not only is it a well rounded dish, you would never know it's healthy! I like to make this Sunday nights for Stephen and I as it lasts us all week, and is really affordable (and perfect for those on a marathon training plan, or just trying to watch their waste lines and pocket books!).
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1/2 Head of Cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Jalapenos
- 2 28oz. Cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes, tops removed & chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 14oz. can Unsalted Pinto Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 14 oz. can Unsalted Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup of your favorite beer
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Add oil to large pot and heat over medium heat; while oil is warming up, chop onion.
- Add onion to pot and saute until onions become translucent.
- When onions have finished cooking, add turkey and continue cooking.
- While the turkey onion mixture is cooking, finely shred your cabbage and chop your bell pepper and jalapenos.
- Once the turkey is browned, add the shredded cabbage and bell peppers - cook for 5 minutes or until the cabbage has "softened."
- Chop your jalapenos (be sure to coat your hands in olive oil before chopping!!!), discard the seeds and stems, and add jalapenos, spices, washed quinoa and chopped canned tomatoes (including can drippings) to the chili. Stir.
- Cover pot, reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add rinsed and drained beans and beer, continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve chili in a bowl and garnish with a small sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.